The right foundation can simplify your makeup routine and help you get out the door more quickly in the morning. Nars is a luxury beauty brand known for its high-quality, high-performance products, and its line of foundations is no exception.
Nars foundations are available in formulas that suit all skin types and concerns, as well as a variety of finish and coverage types. Whether you prefer a lightweight foundation for everyday wear or need a full-coverage formula for a special event or photoshoot, there’s a Nars foundation for you.
Our buying guide delivers tips to help you find the best Nars foundation. We’ve included some specific product recommendations at the end, including our top choice, Nars Sheer Glow Foundation, which provides medium coverage and has a subtle satin finish for a healthy glow.
What to know before you buy a Nars foundation
Consider your skin type when shopping for a Nars foundation. The formulas aren’t necessarily compatible with all skin types, so make sure the one you choose won’t irritate your skin.
- Oily skin can break out and develop shine easily, so you should choose an oil-free Nars foundation that can soak up excess oil. Medium- to full-coverage foundations also work better for covering breakouts.
- Dry skin can be dull and dehydrated, so it requires a foundation with a hydrating formula. Stay away from matte formulas, which can cling to dry patches.
- Normal skin isn’t overly oily or dry, so it works well with most Nars foundations.
- Combination skin features both dry and oily areas, so an oil-free Nars foundation with hydrating ingredients is the best option.
- Mature skin is similar to dry skin and may have fine lines and wrinkles. Choose a lightweight, hydrating Nars foundation with a luminous or dewy finish that won’t sink into fine lines.
Nars offers foundations in several types. Choose a formula based on your application preferences and skin type.
- Liquid foundations are the most common and work well for most skin types, depending on the formula. An oil-free liquid foundation is excellent for oily skin, while a liquid formula with hydrating ingredients can work wonders for dry skin. However, liquid foundation can be messy to apply.
- Cream/stick foundations are a convenient option if you’re traveling or need to apply your makeup on the go. They’re usually moisturizing, but some also set to a powder finish that can work well for oily skin.
- Powder foundations work well for travel or application on the go, but they’re best reserved for oily skin.
- Tinted moisturizers aren’t a classic foundation because they’re not very pigmented. However, their lightweight formula is moisturizing and ideal for times when you want a light makeup look.
Choosing the right coverage for your Nars foundation comes down to how much you have to cover. Sheer foundations don’t cover blemishes and dark spots but can even out your skin tone.
A light-coverage foundation can hide minor imperfections and even out your skin tone, but you want a medium-coverage foundation to cover most blemishes, spots and dark circles.
Full-coverage foundation can cover just about anything, including blemishes, spots and dark circles, so it’s the best option if you want your skin to look completely flawless. It may be too heavy-looking for everyday wear.
Nars makes foundations in different finishes. You should choose a finish based on your skin type and personal preference.
- Matte foundation has no shine or glow, so it’s a good option for oily skin. A matte finish foundation usually wears longer on the skin as well.
- Demi-matte or satin foundation has just enough shine to resemble natural skin. It’s a good choice for normal or combination skin.
- Dewy or radiant foundation reflects light, so it gives the skin a healthy glow. It works well for dry or mature skin.
Nars foundation features
Every Nars foundation is available in at least 12 shades, but some formulas have as many as 40 shades. You’ll have an easier time finding a perfect shade match if you opt for a formula that’s available in more shades.
Nars separates their foundation shades into broad categories, such as light, medium, medium-deep and deep. Each category offers multiple shades with neutral, cool or warm undertones to make it easier to find a match.
The majority of Nars foundations last for about eight to 10 hours on the skin. If you need your makeup to last even longer, you can find some formulas that provide sweat and humidity resistance, so they can last for up to 16 hours.
If you have trouble remembering to apply your sunscreen every day, choose a Nars foundation with SPF. Some formulas include SPF 15 or SPF 30, providing built-in sun protection.
If your skin is sensitive, select a fragrance-free Nars foundation. It doesn’t contain any synthetic fragrance, which can cause irritation, including redness and itching.
Nars foundation cost
Nars foundations cost $33-$50. Sheer to light coverage formulas go for $33-$39, while buildable light to medium foundations cost $40-$45. For a full-coverage formula, expect to pay $44-$50.
Nars foundation FAQ
What’s the best way to apply Nars foundation?
A. Most Nars foundations can be applied with your fingers, a brush or a sponge. You get the best results if you use a brush or sponge, because they can blend out the makeup for a more seamless look.
Can I wear a Nars foundation if I have acne-prone skin?
A. All of Nars’ foundations are dermatologist tested and non-comedogenic, so they’re not likely to clog your pores and cause acne. However, it’s best to choose an oil-free formula just in case.
Which Nars foundation should I get?
Best of the best Nars foundation
Our take: A high-quality foundation that provides medium coverage and can improve your skin long-term.
What we like: Flattering satin finish. Available in a wide range of shades. Features vitamin C and turmeric for skin-brightening effects. Blends easily into the skin.
What we dislike: Pump isn’t included, so it must be purchased separately.
Best bang for your buck Nars foundation
Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30: available at Amazon
Our take: A sheer to light-coverage foundation with moisturizing ingredients and SPF for a healthy, natural look.
What we like: Provides lightweight moisturization. Features vitamin C to brighten dark spots. Has a natural look on the skin. Easy to apply and blend.
What we dislike: Doesn’t work well for oily skin.
Honorable mention Nars foundation
Our take: A full-coverage foundation that can last up to 16 hours and provides a natural finish on the skin.
What we like: Available in plenty of shades. Only requires a small amount for full coverage. Has a lightweight look and feel. Won’t accentuate fine lines and wrinkles.
What we dislike: May not wear as long on oily skin.
Jennifer Blair is a writer for BestReviews. BestReviews is a product review company with a singular mission: to help simplify your purchasing decisions and save you time and money.
BestReviews spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. BestReviews and its newspaper partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.